Cambios en el patrón de especialización regional. Viejas ventajas comparativas y nuevas economías de escala
AbstractThis paper analysis new hypothesis about the effects off regional integration on the MERCOSUR countries. From characterizing the initial patterns of specialization, it discusses the relevance of centre-periphery agglomeration hypothesis. It argues that the economic integration could increase the specialization from comparative advantages but, when there are economies of scale, also could produce a relocalization in the geographic economic activity. The existence of economies of scale and transport cost imply that the relative market's size is relevant to determine the specialization. The geographic regions, that's to say economic space naturally integrate with low transport costs, turn up an significative category to stdy specialization issues. Uruguay, as an interior border of MERCOSUR, faces an privileged geography which could be its main advantage in the process of integration. This advantage appears, in the demand side and in the supply side, because its population can improve their utility for increase on consume variety, or through improving its efficiency for specialization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 0894.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Dec 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ari Kokko & Ruben Tansini & Mario Zejan, 1994.
"Productivity spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan manufacturing sector,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0194, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Kokko, Ari & Tansini, Ruben & Zejan, Mario, 1994. "Productivity Spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 2, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Alvaro Forteza, 1994. "On the Political Economy of the Welfare State," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0594, Department of Economics - dECON.
- María Inés Terra & Adriana Gigliotti, 1994. "Mercosur: localización de la producción. Un modelo de geografía económica," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0794, Department of Economics - dECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.