Transformación estructural y convergencia: evidencia comparada para Uruguay y otros países especializados en bienes intensivos en recursos naturales
AbstractThis article is immerse in the debate over the determinants of countries income level convergence and states that the productive structure of a country is one of the most important of such determinants. A comparative study is performed, testing the potentiality for structural change, for Uruguay and nine other countries with a commercial specialization that may be considered similar between them. In order to do this, the article propone a new interpretation of the Product Space created by Hausmann and other Harvard University researchers, based upon the theoretical framework of the latest works of the ECLALC, which points at the technological capabilities as one of the most important causes of potentialities for a productive structure to modify itself. The article main conclusion is that Uruguay shows different potentialities for structural change that those countries with a similar specialization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 0610.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Convergence; Structural Change; Technological Capabilities; Product Space;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & London, Silvia & Rojas, Mara, 2012.
"Convergencia interregional en dinámica de regimenes: el caso del Mercosur
[Regional convergence of dynamic of regimens: the case of Mercosur]," MPRA Paper 36863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.