ELA, Promissory Notes and All That: The Fiscal Costs of Anglo Irish Bank
AbstractThis is a briefing paper the author distributed to the Irish parliamentary committee responsible for finance and public expenditure. It describes the balance sheet of Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, the organisation that was formed by combining Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide Buildings Society. The nature of the long-run cost to the Irish state of taking over the liabilities of these institutions is outlined and suggestions are made for reducing these costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School Of Economics, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 201206.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 28 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Banking Crises; Anglo Irish Bank; Emergency Liquidity Assistance; European Central Bank;
Other versions of this item:
- Karl Whelan, 2012. "ELA, Promissory Notes and All That:The Fiscal Costs of Anglo Irish Bank," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(4), pages 653-673.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The ECB and Loss-Sharing
by kwhelan in Karl Whelan on 2012-03-08 18:20:29
- The ECB and Bankia
by kwhelan in Karl Whelan on 2012-05-30 08:45:22
- Ireland Debt Negotiations: Not About Interest Rate on Promissory Note
by kwhelan in Karl Whelan on 2012-07-20 11:37:53
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries: an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, June.
- Sebastian Dellepiane & Niamh Hardiman, 2013. "The politics of fiscal effort in Spain and Ireland: Market credibility versus political legitimacy," Working Papers 201321, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Dübel, Achim, 2013. "The capital structure of banks and practice of bank restructuring," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.