Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries
AbstractWe examine investment by firms in 24 chemical product industries to determine whether firms invest preemptively to achieve persistent increases in market share or whether there is evidence of behavior to maintain market share. The data indicate that investment reduces the probability that rival firms will expand capacity, but the effect is temporary. Large firms tend to maintain market share, while smaller firms tend to invest simultaneously with rivals. The role of preemptive investment is limited to that of permitting a firm to invest with a lower probability of redundant investment by rivals. Preemption does not allow a persistent increase in market share, but instead acts as a means by which firms may coordinate capacity investment to help avoid episodes of industry overcapacity.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley in its series Economics Working Papers with number 8730.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 1987
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/econwp.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
Other versions of this item:
- Richard J. Gilbert & Marvin Lieberman, 1987. "Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(1), pages 17-33, Spring.
- Gilbert, Richard J., 1987. "Investment and Coordination in Oligopolistic Industries," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt51b0f7sq, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Le Coq, Chloé & Sturluson, Jon Thor, 2012. "Does opponents’ experience matter? Experimental evidence from a quantity precommitment game," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 265-277.
- Andrew Wood, 2005. "Investment interdependence and the coordination of lumpy investments: evidence from the British brick industry," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 37-49.
- Kovenock, D. & Phillips, G.M., 1995.
"Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
313.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Kovenock, Dan & Phillips, Gordon M, 1997. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 767-803.
- Dan Kovenock & Gordon M Phillips, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Working Papers 95-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Siddharthan, N. S. & Pandit, B. L., 1998. "Liberalisation and investment: behaviour of MNEs and large corporate firms in India," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 535-548, October.
- Ulrich Doraszelski & Mark Satterthwaite & Lauren Xiaoyuan Lu & David Besanko, 2009. "Lumpy Capacity Investment and Disinvestment Dynamics," 2009 Meeting Papers 106, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ciaran Driver & Fabrice Goffinet, 1998. "Investment under Demand Uncertainty, Ex-Ante Pricing, and Oligopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 409-423, August.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 1998. "Learning from the Behavior of Others: Conformity, Fads, and Informational Cascades," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 151-170, Summer.
- Darryl Seale & Amnon Rapoport, 2000. "Elicitation of Strategy Profiles in Large Group Coordination Games," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 153-179, October.
- Bashyam, T. C. A., 1996. "Competitive capacity expansion under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 89-114, November.
- Bergman, Mats A. & Johansson, Per & Bergman, M.A., 2002. "Large investments in the pulp and paper industry: a count data regression analysis," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-52.
- Steven C. Michael, 2009. "Entrepreneurial signaling to attract resources: the case of franchising," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 405-422.
- Mas, Nuria & Seinfeld, Janice, 2004.
"Is managed care restraining the adoption of technology by hospitals?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/554, IESE Business School.
- Mas, Núria & Seinfeld, Janice, 2008. "Is managed care restraining the adoption of technology by hospitals?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 1026-1045, July.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
- Mason, Charles F. & Phillips, Owen R., 2000. "An experimental evaluation of strategic preemption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2006.
"Excessive(?) Entry of National Telecom Networks, 1990-2001,"
Wesleyan Economics Working Papers
2006-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2003. "Excessive(?) Entry of National Telecom Networks, 1990-2001," Working Papers 03-07, NET Institute.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "The Economics of Tacit Collusion," IDEI Working Papers 186, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kofi Nti, 2000. "Potential competition and coordination in a market-entry game," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(2), pages 149-165, June.
- Besanko, David & Doraszelski, Ulrich & Lu, Lauren Xiaoyuan & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2008. "Lumpy Capacity Investment and Disinvestment Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 6788, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Polasky, Stephen & Mason, Charles F., 1998. "On the welfare effects of mergers: Short run vs. long run," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-24.
- Besanko, David & Doraszelski, Ulrich & Lu, Lauren Xiaoyuan & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2010. "On the role of demand and strategic uncertainty in capacity investment and disinvestment dynamics," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 383-389, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.