Portfolio Choice in Research and Development
AbstractWe analyze the effects of a "winner-take-all" patent mechanism on the riskiness of the research strategies chosen by competing firms, as well as on the firms' incentives to duplicate research projects. Nash equilibrium choices are compared with the social optimum in a one-shot, simultaneous-move game in which competitors choose the riskiness or correlation of their research performances. We show that neither society nor firms have any preference for correlation per se, while the divergence between social and privately optimal levels of risk depends on skewness characteristics of the probability distribution over the discovery dates and on levels of risk aversion.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley in its series Research Program in Finance Working Papers with number 147.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1984
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA
Web page: http://haas.berkeley.edu/finance/WP/rpflist.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagman, Liad & Conitzer, Vincent, 2008.
"Choosing Fair Lotteries to Defeat the Competition,"
10375, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Glazer, J. & Sappington, D., 1991.
"Licensing and the Sharing of Knowledge in Research Joint Ventures,"
1991-20, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Glazer, Jacob & Sappington, David E. M., 1992. "Licensing and the sharing of knowledge in research joint ventures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 43-69, February.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Glazer, J. & Sappington, D., 1991. "Licensing and the Sharing of Knowledge in Research Joint Ventures," Papers 9120, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bagwell, K. & Staiger, R.W., 1990.
"The Sensitivity Of Strategic And Corrective R & D Policy In Battles For Monopoly,"
e-90-2, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W, 1992. "The Sensitivity of Strategic and Corrective R&D Policy in Battles for Monopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 795-816, November.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1990. "The Sensitivity of Strategic and Corrective R&D Policy in Battles for Monopoly," NBER Working Papers 3235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1989. "The Sensitivity of Strategic and Corrective R&D Policy in Battles for Monopoly," Discussion Papers 868, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jovanovic, B. & Nyarko, Y., 1996.
"Research and Productivity,"
96-27, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ozdenoren, Emre & Yuan, Kathy, 2012.
"Stock Market Tournaments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9000, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emre Ozdenoren & Kathy Yuan, 2012. "Stock Market Tournaments," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1222, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Emre Ozdenoren & Kathy Yuan, 2012. "Stock Market Tournaments," FMG Discussion Papers dp706, Financial Markets Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.