The Persistence of Unemployment Under a Fixed Exchange Rate Peg
AbstractThis paper studies the dynamics of unemployment under a fixed exchange rate peg with an escape clause. The interesting aspects of these dynamics come from the interaction between unemployment and the devaluation expectations. While an increase in the unemployment rate raises the devaluation expectations, reciprocally the latter influence the unemployment rate through the level of interest rates. We present a model in which this interaction tends to increase the level and the persistence of unemployment, and can even generate some hysteresis in the unemployment dynamics that is associated with a currency crisis. The estimation of the model in the case of the French franc sheds new light on the franc crisis of 1992-93, as well as the franc fort policy and the convergence criteria of the Maastricht Treaty.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley in its series Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers with number C97-093.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/ciderwp.htm
More information through EDIRC
Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Jeanne, Olivier, 1998.
"Currency Crisis and Unemployment: Sterling in 1931,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1898, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen & Olivier Jeanne, 2000. "Currency Crisis and Unemployment: Sterling in 1931," NBER Chapters, in: Currency Crises, pages 7-43 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Olivier Jeanne, 1998. "Currency Crisis and Unemployment: Sterling in 1931," NBER Working Papers 6563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.