The Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structures Components: A Hedonic Regression Approach
AbstractThe paper uses hedonic regression techniques in order to decompose the price of a house into land and structure components using readily available real estate sales data for a Dutch city. In order to get sensible results, it proved necessary to use a nonlinear regression model using data that covered multiple time periods. It also proved to be necessary to impose some monotonicity restrictions on the price of land and structures. The results of the additive model were compared with the results of a traditional logarithmic hedonic regression model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series Economics working papers with number erwin_diewert-2010-1.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 28 Jan 2010
Date of revision: 13 Jul 2010
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/
Property price indexes; hedonic regressions; repeat sales method; rolling year indexes; Fisher ideal indexes.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-02-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-URE-2010-02-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chihiron Shimizu & Kiyohiko G. Nishimura & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2010. "Housing Prices in Tokyo: A Comparison of Hedonic and Repeat Sales Measures," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(6), pages 792-813, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.