Has food price volatility risen?
AbstractThe high food prices experienced over recent years have led to the widespread view that food price volatility has increased. However, volatility has generally been lower over the two most recent decades than previously. Variability over the most recent period has been high but, with the important exception of rice, not out of line with historical experience. There is weak evidence that the volatility of grains and vegetable oils prices may be increasing but it is too early to make a definite statement. Important open issues remain with respect to biofuels, climate change and the possible effects of the financialization of agricultural food markets
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 1002.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012.
"On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility,"
2012-20, CEPII research center.
- Creti, Anna & Joëts, Marc & Mignon, Valérie, 2013. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 16-28.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-42, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Minot, Nicholas, 2012. "Food price volatility in Africa: Has it really increased?:," IFPRI discussion papers 1239, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013.
"Trade Liberalization in the Bio-Economy: Coping with a New Landscape,"
2013-15, CEPII research center.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013. "Trade liberalization in the bio-economy: coping with a new landscape," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 173-182, November.
- Elodie Maître D'Hôtel & Tristan Le Cotty & Thomas Jayne, 2012.
"Is a public regulation of food price volatility feasible in Africa? An arch approach in Kenya,"
- Maitre d'Hotel, Elodie & le Cotty, Tristan & Jayne, Thomas S., 2012. "Is A Public Regulation Of Food Price Volatility Feasible In Africa? An Arch Approach In Kenya," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122551, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, C. & Zuppiroli, M., 2013. "Commodity futures markets: are they an effective price risk management tool for the European wheat supply chain ?," 2013 Second Congress, June 6-7, 2013, Parma, Italy 149773, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Kelbore, Zerihun Getachew, 2013. "Transmission of World Food Prices to Domestic Market: The Ethiopian Case," MPRA Paper 49712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Huang, Wen & Huang, Zhuo & Matei, Marius & Wang, Tianyi, 2012. "Price Volatility Forecast for Agricultural Commodity Futures： The Role of High Frequency Data," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 83-103, December.
- Emiliano Magrini & Ayca Donmez, 2013. "Agricultural Commodity Price Volatility and Its Macroeconomic Determinants: A GARCH-MIDAS Approach," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC84138, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Vincent Chatellier, 2011. "Price volatility, market regulation and risk management: challenges for the future of the CAP," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 201104, INRA UMR SMART.
- Saravia-Matus, Silvia L. & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Mary, Sebastien, 2012. "Economics of Food Security: Selected Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- von Braun, Joachim & Tadesse, Getaw, 2012. "Global Food Price Volatility and Spikes: An Overview of Costs, Causes, and Solutions," Discussion Papers 120021, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Kornher, Lukas & Kalkuhl, Matthias, 2013. "Food price volatility in developing countries and its determinants," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156132, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Bellemare, Marc F., 2011. "Rising food prices, food price volatility, and political unrest," MPRA Paper 31888, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirzabaev, Alisher & Tsegai, Daniel W., 2012. "Effects of weather shocks on agricultural commodity prices in Central Asia," Discussion Papers 140769, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.