Bootstrap-based Bandwidth Selection for Semiparametric Generalized Regression Estimators
AbstractThis paper considers the problem of implementing semiparametric extremum estimators of a generalized regression model with an unknown link function. The class of estimator under consideration includes as special cases the semiparametric least-squares estimator of Ichimura (1993) as well as the semiparametric quasi-likelihood estimator of Klein and Spady (1993). In general, it is assumed to involve the computation of a nonparametric kernel estimate of the link function that appears in place of the true, but unknown, link function in the appropriate location in a smooth criterion function. The specific question considered in this paper concerns the practical selection of the degree of smoothing to be used in computing the nonparametric regression estimate. This paper proposes a method for selecting the smoothing parameter via resampling. The particular method suggested here involves using a resample of smaller size than the original sample. Specific guidance on selecting the resample size is given, and simulation evidence is presented to illustrate the utility of this method for samples of moderate size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toronto, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number tecipa-375.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: 09 Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Bandwidth selection; semiparametric; single-index model; bootstrap; m-out-of-n bootstrap; kernel smoothing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, W.K., 1991.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Sherman, Robert P., 1994. "U-Processes in the Analysis of a Generalized Semiparametric Regression Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 372-395, June.
- Y. Nishiyama & P. M. Robinson, 2000. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 931-980, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.