On the Small Sample Distribution of the R/S Statistic
AbstractThis paper gives an account of the R/S statistic and its known properties. It assesses the adequacy of the asymptotic distribution of R/S in the case of samples of small and moderate size, and suggests an improved approximation based on the beta distribution. The results indicate that the proposed beta approximation is superior to the asymptotic distribution for practical purposes. Hence a new table of critical values is presented as an alternative to that of Lo (1991).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Economics Technical Papers with number 976.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Luis Gil-Alana, 2013.
"Long memory in US real output per capita,"
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 591-611, April.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2009. "Long Memory in US Real Output per Capita," CESifo Working Paper Series 2671, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2009. "Long Memory in US Real Output per Capita," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 891, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Denis Conniffe & John E. Spencer, 1999.
"Approximating the Distribution of the R/s Statistic,"
WP104, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Denis Conniffe & John E. Spencer, 2000. "Approximating the Distribution of the R/s Statistic," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 237-248.
- Marwan Izzeldin & Anthony Murphy, 2000. "Bootstrapping the Small Sample Critical Values of the Rescaled Range Statistic," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(4), pages 351-359.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Samuel Kotz, 2006. "Beta trigonometric distributions," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 207-224, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.