Business Competitiveness after Euro Adoption in Slovakia
AbstractSlovak enterprises recorded significant worsening of economic and financial indicators in the time after euro adoption. Dramatic changes in the results of non-financial corporations were observed in most of the EU countries. The main driving factor was a drop in global demand. Some indicators suggest that the adoption of the euro and consequent effective exchange rate appreciation could have an additional negative effect on selected services. Decrease in price and cost competitiveness was only temporary. Tradable sector represented mainly by manufacturing seems to be sufficiently competitive. With gradual recovery of the global economy we can see a growing importance of previously identified competitiveness factors: support of research and development, education and innovations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia in its series Working and Discussion Papers with number OP 3/2010.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Imricha Karvasa 1, 813 25 Bratislava
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
business competitiveness; impact of euro adoption;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2010-08-28 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2010-08-28 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.