Antecedents of Patenting Activity of European Universities
AbstractThis paper analyzes antecedents of patent activity of 87 European universities. The findings reveal that more patent activity is observed within larger universities and at universities that encompass engineering and biomedical departments. Higher levels of scientific productivity and contract research coincide with higher levels of patent activity. The findings reveal that academic patenting is contingent on the combined effect of a scientific and entrepreneurial orientation of universities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 05-005.RS.
Length: 30 p.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-02-05 (European Economics)
- NEP-INO-2006-02-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2006-02-05 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Han, Junghee & Heshmati, Almas, 2013. "Determinants of Financial Rewards from Industry-University Collaboration in South Korea," IZA Discussion Papers 7695, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caldera, Aida & Debande, Olivier, 2010. "Performance of Spanish universities in technology transfer: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1160-1173, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.