Testing the Unconfoundedness Assumption via Inverse Probability Weighted Estimators of (L)ATT
AbstractWe propose inverse probability weighted estimators for the the local average treatment effect (LATE) and the local average treatment effect for the treated (LATT) under instrumental variable assumptions with covariates. We show that these estimators are asymptotically normal and effcient. When the (binary) instrument satisfies one-sided non-compliance, we propose a Durbin- Wu-Hausman-type test of whether treatment assignment is unconfounded conditional on some observables. The test is based on the fact that under one-sided non-compliance LATT coincides with the average treatment effect for the treated (ATT). We conduct Monte Carlo simulations to demonstrate, among other things, that part of the theoretical efficiency gain afforded by unconfoundedness in estimating ATT survives pre-testing. We illustrate the practical implementation of the test on data from training programs administered under the Job Training Partnership Act.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan in its series IEAS Working Paper : academic research with number 12-A017.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.sinica.edu.tw/index.php?foreLang=en
More information through EDIRC
local average treatment effect; instrumental variables; unconfoundedness; inverse probability weighted estimation; nonparametric estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per, 2012.
"Testing for Nonparametric Identification of Causal Effects in the Presence of a Quasi-Instrument,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6692, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per, 2012. "Testing for nonparametric identification of causal effects in the presence of a quasi-instrument," Working Paper Series 2012:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Jason Abrevaya & Yu-Chin Hsu & Robert P. Lieli, 2012. "Estimating Conditional Average Treatment Effects," CEU Working Papers 2012_16, Department of Economics, Central European University, revised 20 Jul 2012.
- Huber, Martin, 2013.
"A simple test for the ignorability of non-compliance in experiments,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1312, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Huber, Martin, 2013. "A simple test for the ignorability of non-compliance in experiments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 389-391.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HsiaoyunLiu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.