The Welfare Cost of Means Testing: Pensioner Participation in Income
AbstractWe estimate parametric and semi-parametric binary choice models of benefit take-up by British pensioners and use a revealed preference argument to infer the cash-equivalent value of disutility arising from stigma or complexity of the claims process. These implicit costs turn out to be relatively small, averaging about £3-4 per week across Income Support recipients. Using the Foster-Greer-Thorbecke measure of poverty among pensioners, we find that allowing for implicit claim costs incurred by benefit recipients raises the measured degree of poverty by not more than 13%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2006004.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision: Apr 2006
Benefit take-up; Program participation; pensions; welfare; poverty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bargain, Olivier & Immervoll, Herwig & Viitamäki, Heikki, 2007.
"How Tight Are Safety-Nets in Nordic Countries? Evidence from Finnish Register Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3004, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervollz & Heikki Viitamäkix, 2007. "How Tight are Safety-Nets in Nordic Countries? Evidence from Finnish Register Data," Working Papers 200727, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervoll & Heikki Viitamäki, 2007. "How Tight are Safety-Nets in Nordic Countries? Evidence from Finnish Register Data," Working Papers 200712, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lidia Ceriani & Carlo V. Fiorio & Chiara Gigliarano, 2013.
"The importance of choosing the data set for tax-benefit analysis,"
International Journal of Microsimulation,
Interational Microsimulation Association, vol. 1(6), pages 86-121.
- Ceriani, Lidia & Fiorio, Carlo V. & Gigliarano, Chiara, 2013. "The importance of choosing the data set for tax-benefit analysis," EUROMOD Working Papers EM5/13, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lidia CERIANI & Carlo V. FIORIO & Chiara GHIGLIARANO, 2013. "The importance of choosing the data set for tax-benefit analysis," Departmental Working Papers 2013-05, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Ewoudou, Jacques & Tsimpo, Clarence & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Stigma and the take-up of social programs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4962, The World Bank.
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervoll & Heikki Viitamäki, 2009.
"No Claim, No Pain - Measuring the Non-Take-up of Social Assistance using Register Data,"
200931, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervoll & Heikki Viitamäki, 2012. "No claim, no pain. Measuring the non-take-up of social assistance using register data," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 375-395, September.
- Bargain, Olivier & Immervoll, Herwig & Viitamäki, Heikki, 2010. "No Claim, No Pain: Measuring the Non-Take-up of Social Assistance Using Register Data," IZA Discussion Papers 5355, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Cuberes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.