Export-Investment Subsidies in the Presence of Import Protection
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate endogenous foreign direct investment incentives in an export sector when the tariff is exogenously given. Using a cost-benefit rule to determine export-investment incentives, authorities are shown to set subsidies which neutralize the effects of tariffs and which correspond to their welfare-maximizing level. Extending the model to two countries, we show that, depending on the level of protection, the strategic interaction between export authorities may result in an increase or a decrease in export capacity allocated to the low-wage country as compared to the outcome without export-investment subsidies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University in its series Discussion Papers with number dp97-08.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada
Web page: http://www.sfu.ca/economics.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Working Paper Coordinator, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6, Canada
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Working Paper Coordinator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.