El Estado en los campos. La regulación del cultivo del arroz en la España del siglo XIX
AbstractThe role of the state in nineteenth-century Spanish economy has been very controversial and has generally received negative judgments. This article tries to evaluate the intervention in the regulation of rice cultivation. Justified against malaria, this regulation encountered great difficulties to be applied until it consolidated the new state apparatus after the liberal revolution, because of local resistance and administrative constraints. In the second half of the nineteenth century, however, the state introduced legislation that would live in time and was widely respected. Thus the state showed a certain autonomy from social interests and set up measures that had an impact on improving population health.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria in its series Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria with number 1001.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Agriculture; Agrarian politics; State building; Paddy fields;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-07-03 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-REG-2010-07-03 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lidón París Folch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.