A Data-Driven Optimization Heuristic for Downside Risk Minimization
AbstractIn practical portfolio choice models risk is often defined as VaR, expected shortfall, maximum loss, Omega function, etc. and is computed from simulated future scenarios of the portfolio value. It is well known that the minimization of these functions can not, in general, be performed with standard methods. We present a multi-purpose data-driven optimization heuristic capable to deal efficiently with a variety of risk functions and practical constraints on the positions in the portfolio. The efficiency and robustness of the heuristic is illustrated by solving a collection of real world portfolio optimization problems using different risk functions such as VaR, expected shortfall, maximum loss and Omega function with the same algorithm
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 with number 355.
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Portfolio optimization; Heuristic optimization; Threshold accepting; Downside risk;
Other versions of this item:
- Manfred Gilli & Evis Këllezi & Hilda Hysi, . "A Data-Driven Optimization Heuristic for Downside Risk Minimization," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-02, Swiss Finance Institute.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2009. "Robust regression with optimisation heuristics," Working Papers 011, COMISEF.
- Harris, Richard D.F. & Mazibas, Murat, 2013. "Dynamic hedge fund portfolio construction: A semi-parametric approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 139-149.
- Yuichi Takano & Jun-ya Gotoh, 2010. "α-Conservative approximation for probabilistically constrained convex programs," Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 113-133, May.
- Thiemo Krink & Sandra Paterlini, 2008.
"Differential Evolution for Multiobjective Portfolio Optimization,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
021, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Thiemo Krink & Sandra Paterlini, 2008. "Differential Evolution for Multiobjective Portfolio Optimization," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 08012, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- J. Baixauli-Soler & Eva Alfaro-Cid & Matilde Fernandez-Blanco, 2011. "Mean-VaR Portfolio Selection Under Real Constraints," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 37(2), pages 113-131, February.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2009. "Optimal enough?," Working Papers 010, COMISEF.
- Jin Zhang & Dietmar Maringer, 2010. "Asset Pair-Copula Selection with Downside Risk Minimization," Working Papers 037, COMISEF.
- Zhu, Min, 2013. "Return distribution predictability and its implications for portfolio selection," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 209-223.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00375765 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00375765 is not listed on IDEAS
- Konstantinos Anagnostopoulos & Georgios Mamanis, 2011. "Multiobjective evolutionary algorithms for complex portfolio optimization problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 259-279, August.
- Thiemo Krink & Sandra Paterlini, 2011. "Multiobjective optimization using differential evolution for real-world portfolio optimization," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 157-179, April.
- Marianna Lyra, 2010. "Heuristic Strategies in Finance – An Overview," Working Papers 045, COMISEF.
- Thapar, Rishi & Minsky, Bernard & Obradovic, M & Tang, Qi, 2009. "Applying a global optimisation algorithm to Fund of Hedge Funds portfolio optimisation," MPRA Paper 17099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iwona Konarzewska, 2008. "On measuring the sensitivity of the optimal portfolio allocation," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 2, pages 55-73.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.