S-Estimation in the Linear Regression Model with Long-Memory Error Terms
AbstractThe phenomenon of long-memory plays an important role in economics. This paper considers the asymptotic properties of S -estimators -- a class of robust estimates with a high breakdown-point and good asymptotic properties -- in the linear regression model with long memory error terms. Here we assume mild regularity conditions on the regressors, which are sufficiently weak to cover, for example, polynomial trends and i.i.d. carries. It turns out that S -estimators are asymptotically normal with a variance-covariance structure which, in the case of long memory, is similar to the structure in the i.i.d. case. In this case S -estimators also have the same rate of convergence as the least squares estimator and the BLUE. It is possible to extend these results to a class of robust estimators which have high breakdown and high efficiency simultaneously, so-called MM-estimators. But MM-estimators are difficult to compute in practice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 with number 512.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arie Preminger & Shinichi Sakata, 2007.
"A model selection method for S-estimation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 294-319, 07.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Stahl, Gerhard & Luedtke, Corinna, 2008. "Measuring Model Risk," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-409, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2000. "Robust CUSUM-M test in the presence of long-memory disturbances," Technical Reports 2000,19, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.