TIPS: Taking Inflation Premium Seriously
AbstractThis paper asks the question of whether the newly available TIPS yields data can help us achieve a better understanding of the real term structure and the inflation expectations. The yield differential between TIPS and comparable nominal coupon securities is not a direct measure of inflation expectations, because it contains inflation risk premium, and because the TIPS yield may depart from the true "real yield," due to low investor demand especially in the early years. Without using data from the (indexed) real bond market, we cannot fully identify the real interest rate from the inflation risk premium, unless we assume that all information affecting the real term structure is reflected in the nominal bond prices. Even with this assumption, empirical identification of the real term structure is hard to achieve because of the poor measurement and the frequent revisions of the price series. We develop a flexible multifactor term-structure model to allow for suitable specifications of liquidity premium on TIPS, as well as complications caused by lagged indexation. We estimate the model by the Kalman filter using TIPS yields, nominal bond yields, realized inflation and survey data on interest rates and inflation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 with number 363.
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
TIPS; Inflation risk premium; term structure of interest rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2005-11-19 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-11-19 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw & Wändi Bruine de Bruin & Giorgio Topa & Simon Potter & Michael Bryan, 2008. "Rethinking the measurement of household inflation expectations: preliminary findings," Staff Reports 359, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.