Nonlinear Mean Reversion in Stock Prices
AbstractWe investigate evidence for nonlinear mean reversion in yearly S\&P500 data from 1871 until 2001. We find that up to 1990 there is significant evidence of nonlinear mean reversion. In particular, stock prices are characterized by a persistent process close to the fundamental value. However, when prices deviate significantly a mean reverting regime is activated and prices adjust to fundamental values. Instead, the stock price run-up of the late 90s exacerbated the persistence of the deviations and there is no evidence for a mean reverting regime that drives prices back to fundamentals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 with number 264.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
nonlinear time series; mean reversion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2004-08-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2004-08-16 (Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edward Bernard Bastiaan de Rivera y Rivera & Diógenes Manoel Leiva Martin & Emerson Fernandes Marçal & Leonardo Fernando Cruz Basso, 2012. "Present value model between prices and dividends with constant and time-varying expected returns: enterprise-level Brazilian stock market evidence from non-stationary panels," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(4), pages 51-86, October.
- Cunado, J. & Gil-Alana, L.A. & Gracia, Fernando Perez de, 2010. "Mean reversion in stock market prices: New evidence based on bull and bear markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 113-122, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.