Jump and Cojump Risk in Subprime Home Equity Derivatives
AbstractI analyze the risk in the ABX index of asset backed, subprime, home equity credit default swaps and CME housing futures. Using estimators of the jump and cojump components of security prices, I determine that: (1) jump risk was rising throughout 2006, well before any problems in the mortgage market were discussed in the press or policy circles; (2) news explains up to 40% of the jump risk in the AAA rated ABX index and 24% in the BBB-; (3) The jump risk between the ABX and housing futures market is inversely related; (4) the slope of the housing futures term structure is significantly related to the jump risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rutgers University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 200802.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248
Phone: (732) 932-7482
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
asset backed credit default swaps; housing futures; subprime; jump risk; cojumps;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011.
"Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1139, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Girardi, Alessandro, 2013. "Price discovery and trade fragmentation in a multi-market environment: Evidence from the MTS system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 227-240.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011. "Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System," CESifo Working Paper Series 3525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lee, Yung-Tsung & Wang, Chou-Wen & Huang, Hong-Chih, 2012. "On the valuation of reverse mortgages with regular tenure payments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 430-441.
- Fender, Ingo & Scheicher, Martin, 2009. "The pricing of subprime mortgage risk in good times and bad: evidence from the ABX.HE indices," Working Paper Series 1056, European Central Bank.
- Melisso Boschi & Massimiliano Marzo & Simone Salotti, 2013. "Domestic Versus International Determinants Of European Business Cycles: A GVAR Approach," CAMA Working Papers 2013-28, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Andrea Coppola & Alessandro Girardi & Gustavo Piga, 2012.
"Overcrowding Versus Liquidity in the Euro Sovereign Bond Markets,"
CEIS Research Paper
222, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 20 Feb 2012.
- Andrea Coppola & Alessandro Girardi & Gustavo Piga, 2013. "Overcrowding Versus Liquidity In The Euro Sovereign Bond Markets," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 307-318, October.
- Giovanni, Calice, 2011. "The subprime asset-backed securities market and the equity prices of large complex financial institutions," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 585-604, October.
- Ingo Fender & Martin Scheicher, 2008. "The ABX: how do the markets price subprime mortgage risk?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Bruce Mizrach, 2012. "Comment on "Endogenous and Systemic Risk"," NBER Chapters, in: Quantifying Systemic Risk, pages 94-105 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.