Economic Stability and Choice of Exchange Rate Regimes
AbstractThis paper emphasizes the importance of Europe’s structural problems and governance as the cause of the current euro area crisis. The euro may have led to bubbles, but member economies were not free of trouble before the euro. Many members were losing competitiveness and in need of removing structural rigidities. If anything, the euro was expected to encourage structural reform, by taking away the easy choice of monetary and fiscal expansion. We first discuss the relationship between the single currency and economic stability in Europe. We confirm the asymmetries that remained after the introduction of the euro and then discuss the governance overhaul taking place in Europe today. This overhaul was something that should have been done before introducing the euro, and its advancement may be the silver lining of this crisis. Finally, we touch upon the implications for Asia and Japan, from the point of view of the choice of exchange rate regime as a method to advance necessary reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 408.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 20 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
single currency; europe; euro area crisis; economic stability; exchange rate regimes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2013-03-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2013-03-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2013-03-09 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2013-03-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaji, Sahoko, 1998. "Successful Structural Reforms after EMU," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 507-534, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.