On the Determinants of Scholastic Performance in Five Asian Countries
AbstractThis paper takes an efficiency analysis perspective to analyze, on the basis of the data of the 2009 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) survey, the determinants of scholastic performance in five Asian countries (Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Thailand). In the first stage, the huge amount of information available in the PISA survey on the production of education is aggregated via the use of correspondence analysis. To measure efficiency, a stochastic production frontier approach is then adopted and efficiency is estimated at the individual (student) level. Finally, the factors affecting this efficiency are analyzed via an ordinary least squares regression and, using the so-called Shapley decomposition, an attempt is made to determine the exact impact on efficiency of the various explanatory variables that were introduced.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series ADB Economics Working Paper Series with number 335.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Azerbaijan; correspondence analysis; educational production function; Indonesia; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyz Republic; PISA data; Shapley value; Thailand;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Guia S. de Guzman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.