Determinants of Different Modes of FDI: Firm-Level Evidence from Japanese FDI into the United States
AbstractThere are four major modes through which firms undertake foreign direct investment (FDI): merger and acquisition (M&A), joint venture, new plant, and others. The four modes of FDI are distinct from each other, and each has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. While a large and growing empirical literature examines the determinants of FDI, very few studies examine the determinants of the different modes. The central objective of this paper is to empirically analyze the extent to which the determinants of FDI such as firm size influence the choice of one mode of FDI over another. Our analysis follows a stylized two-stage investment process. First, we look at the probability of whether a Japanese firm is willing to undertake FDI in the United States. Second, which is the innovation of this paper and its main original contribution to the FDI literature, we analyze which of the four modes of FDI will be chosen by firms that are willing to undertake FDI.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series ADB Economics Working Paper Series with number 197.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
FDI; merger and acquisition; joint venture; new plant; relative access to bank credit; relative wealth; hurdle regression model; multinomial logit model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012.
"Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma,"
Borradores de Economia
714, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012. "Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009672, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Guia S. de Guzman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.