The Specificities of Finnish Industrial Policy - Challenges and Initiatives at the Turn of the Century
AbstractThe Finnish experience in the 1990s represents one of the few examples of how knowledge can become the driving force in economic growth and transformation. The countrys industrial structure that was previously raw material-, energy-, and capital-intensive changed in less than a decade to primarily a knowledge-intensive on. During the first year of the 21st century Finland has topped the list in various competitiveness rankings and is also number one in OECDs PISA studies of youths learning skills and educational attainment. The aim of this paper is to discuss the nature and role that industry policy has played in these developments, with an explicit focus on the specificities and recent shifts in policy thinking and implementation in Finland. We discuss the emergence of new industrial policies in Finland in the early 1990s, the main policy initiatives and measures, present the organisational landscape of these new policies, and conclude with a partial assessment of the success of policies and future challenges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 973.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2006-04-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-HIS-2006-04-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2006-04-22 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koski, Heli & Rouvinen, Petri & Yla-Anttila, Pekka, 2001.
"ICT Clusters in Europe. The Great Central Banana and the Small Nordic Potato,"
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Koski, H. & Rouvinen, P. & Yla-Anttila, P., 2002. "ICT clusters in Europe The great central banana and the small Nordic potato," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 145-165, June.
- Eva Heiskanen & Sirkku Kivisaari & Raimo Lovio & Per Mickwitz, 2009. "Designed to travel? Transition management encounters environmental and innovation policy histories in Finland," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 409-427, November.
- Johansson, Edvard & Böckerman, Petri & Prättälä, Ritva & Uutela, Antti, 2005.
"Alcohol Mortality, Drinking Behavior, and Business Cycles: Are Slumps Really Dry Seasons?,"
986, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Petri Böckerman & Edvard Johansson & Ritva Prättälä & Antti Uutela, 2005. "Alcohol mortality, drinking behaviour, and business cycles: are slumps really dry seasons?," HEW 0506002, EconWPA.
- Luukkonen, Terttu, 2006. "Venture Capital Industry in Finland - Country Report for the Venture Fun Project," Discussion Papers 1003, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.