The Dynamics of Plant-level Productivity in the U.S
AbstractThis paper applies the insights of the literature on idiosyncratic shocks to inividual labor productivity to the dynamics of plant-level total factor productivity. Recent work in I.O. has emphasized the importance of firm- and plant-level heterogeneity in total factor productivity. Most of the work on plant- or firm-level productivity has focused on specific industries and used only cross-sectional data. Using the methodology of Olley and Pakes (1996) to incorporate exit decisions in the estimation procedure, we estimate establishment-level productivity using a unique longitudinal data set that covers covers the entire U.S. manufacturing sector from 1975 until 2001. Then we characterize the time series properties of establishment-level idiosyncratic shocks to productivity, taking into account aggregate economy-wide and industry-level shocks. This provides an opportunity to compare the persistence and volatility of the idiosyncratic shocks to those of aggregate productivity shocks estimated from aggregate data. Finally, this data set and methodology provide an opportunity to test the implications of different theories of firm dynamics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2004 Meeting Papers with number 191.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
plant-level productivity; aggregate productivity; productivity dynamics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.