The territorial shaping of knowledge dynamics in Baden-WÃ¼rttemberg - Inter-organizational relations in the sectoral knowledge domain of the automotive industry
AbstractThe paper focuses on the territorial shaping of knowledge dynamics as one of the driving forces for innovation. Knowledge dynamics are unfolding from processes of creation, use, transformation and diffusion of knowledge. Due to both the ongoing restructuring of global value chains and the changes in the organization of innovation â€˜combinatorial knowledge dynamicsâ€™ gain a more prominent role in innovation. Firms are facing an increasing need to combine heterogeneous knowledge sources spread over organizational, technological, sectoral and spatial boundaries in innovation processes. Combinatorial knowledge dynamics imply to cope with many different cognitive, technological, intra- and inter-organizational and institutional interfaces. Deeper empirical investigation in the connected organizational and institutional change linked with knowledge dynamics is still missing, but is indeed necessary to better understand the spatio-temporality of knowledge dynamics behind innovation. Addressing the connection of space as a scope of action and space as being generated as a part of the social process, the paper chose a biographical method to explore knowledge dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography in its series Working Papers on Innovation and Space with number 2011-01.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Innovation; territorial knowledge dynamics; automotive industry; Baden-WÃ¼rttemberg;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-04-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2011-04-30 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2011-04-30 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-04-30 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2011-04-30 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.