Technical Barriers to Trade Faced by South African SMME'S
AbstractSouth Africa is an open economy, and, therefore, it is affected by what happens in foreign markets. Exports and export growth are cornerstones of South African economic development policy. One of the implications of an export-orientated economy is that many of its SMME manufacturers must, of necessity, conform to the technical requirements in export markets. South Africa will have to follow international conformity assessment trends and adapt to the highest common denominator in many of these markets. The challenges for local compliance with the technical standards, regulatory and conformity assessment regimes are substantial, even when they are transparent; however, when compared to what might be faced by local SMME’s addressing technical requirements both closer to home within the local SADC region and in the rest of Africa, the challenges mount exponentially.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200517.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Technical Barriers; SMME;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.