Determinants of South Africa-US Intra-Industry Trade in Services
AbstractThe study attempts to empirically identify factors that determine South Africa-US intra-industry trade (IIT) in selected services during the period 1994-2003. A number of hypotheses based on models of IIT for goods trade are tested. The study utilises an estimation methodology that is robust to heteroscedasticity, contemporaneous and serial correlation among errors. The empirical results, in principle, show that South Africa-US IIT in the selected services is determined by factors similar to goods-based ÒNorth-SouthÓ IIT studies. A key policy implication from the study is that South Africa should increase her IIT in unaffiliated services by minimising the differences with the US in income per capita, market size, FDI, and degree of market openness.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200515.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Intra-industry trade; services; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.