Resources, trade and debt: the case of Mexico
AbstractThe paper studies a two-region economy , with two sectors and three factors of production : oil, capital and labor . The South exports oil in exchange for industrial goods from the North . There is a net capital inflow to the South . This equals the difference between its export revenues and import costs, and represents the South's indebtedness . This overseas borrowing finances the development of the oil sector : increased borrowing leads to higher oil supplies, to new levels of consumption and a new distribution of income in the South, as well as to new levels of exports from the North . The paper studies the macro impacts of changes in the value of the debt on both the borrowing and the lending regions . The results are illustrated by simulations with data for the U .S .A . and Mexico .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 8074.
Date of creation: 1983
Date of revision:
Mexico; north-south; trade; debt; debt in developing nations; oil exportation; PEMEX; income distribution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1990. "Global models and North-South relations," MPRA Paper 8126, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1985. "International trade in resources: a general equilibrium analysis," MPRA Paper 8356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1990. "Large and small models: their suitability for North-South issues," MPRA Paper 8354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.