Shariah Governance: Challenges Ahead
AbstractBank Negara Malaysia (BNM) had previously issued a number of statutory requirements in making the establishment of Shariah Committee (SC) of a bank mandatory via Islamic Banking Act 1983, Banking & Financial Institution Act 1989, Takaful Act 1984 and Central bank of Malaysia (Amendment) Act 2003. The establishment of SC is important as part of the governance of an Islamic Bank in order to assure the stakeholders that the Bank is doing its business in permissible manner as outlined by the Shariah. Despite the structure, there is still skepticism about the system mainly on the capacity and the capability of the SC as reported in previous publications. This paper shall identify challenges faced by the SC that had impaired their capacity and capability in achieving their objectives. Subsequently, this paper shall recommend alternative measures on issues highlighted in assisting the SC and Shariah Auditors in bridging the public expectations. This study confines to issues pertaining to Islamic Banks operating in Malaysia as published in relevant articles and the author’s personal encounter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47772.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Islamic Finance; Shariah Governance; Shariah Committee; Shariah Audit;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2013-06-30 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2013-06-30 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CWA-2013-06-30 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-SEA-2013-06-30 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-83, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iqbal, Zamir & Mirakhor, Abbas, 2004. "Stakeholders Model of Governance in Islamic Economic System," MPRA Paper 56027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.