Determinants of Exports in Pakistan: An Econometric Analysis (1970-2006)
AbstractThe present study has been conducted in the year 2008 to assess the determinants of exports in Pakistan during 1970-2006 using econometric techniques. Time series data ranging from 1970 to 2006 on total exports, primary commodities exports, semi-manufactures and exports of manufactured goods has been taken from Economic Survey of Pakistan (Statistical Supplement, 2006-07). Augmented Dickey Fuller (ADF) test has been used for checking the stationarity of the data. Furthermore, the Johenson Co-integration test (likelihood ratio statistic) has been used to detect the long-term relationship among the series. The method of ordinary least square has been used to assess the determinants of exports in Pakistan. The results indicate that 1% increase in the exports of primary commodities brings 0.97% increase in total exports in Pakistan. Similarly, 1% increase in the exports of semi-manufactures leads to increase total exports by 0.99%. On similar pattern, 1% increase in the exports of manufactured goods leads to increase total exports by 1%. The coefficients of all the explanatory variables are statistically significant at both 5% and 1% level of significance. It is recommended to increase the exports of primary goods, semi-manufactures and manufactured goods so as make balance of trade favorable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41988.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Huminities and Social Sciences 1.18(2010): pp. 102-108
Determinants; exports; econometric; analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Funke & Sean Holly, 1992. "The determinants of West German exports of manufactures: An integrated demand and supply approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 498-512, September.
- Sharma, K., 2000. "Export Growth in India: Has FDI Played a Role?," Papers 816, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- James Riedel & Chris Hall & Roger Grawe, 1984. "Determinants of indian export performance in the 1970s," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 120(1), pages 40-63, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.