Drawing out the Satisficer from the Maximizer
AbstractHow a full glass is sketched by a person is used as an identification of a maximizer/satisficer-type personality. There is evidence that students who interpret the “full glass” description as, in fact, a glass that is filled up to the brim as the maximizer-types and those who draw their glass just filled below the brim as the satisficer-types. Analysis of self-reported subjective well-being indicates that the satisficer-types enjoy higher school domain satisfaction than the maximizer-types.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39355.
Date of creation: 10 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Drawing; maximizer; satisficer; subjective well-being; satisfaction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dalia L. Diab & Michael A. Gillespie & Scott Highhouse, 2008. "Are maximizers really unhappy? The measurement of maximizing tendency," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 3, pages 364-370, June.
- Andrew M. Parker & W�ndi Bruine de Bruin & Baruch Fischhoff, 2007. "Maximizers versus satisficers: Decision-making styles, competence, and outcomes," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 2, pages 342-350, December.
- Beja Jr, Edsel & Yap, David B., 2012. "Counting happiness from the individual level to the group level," MPRA Paper 40214, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.