Migration et pauvreté en Haïti : impacts économiques et sociaux des envois de fonds sur l’inégalité et la pauvreté ?
[Migration and Poverty in Haiti: Economic and Social Consequences of Remittances on Inequality and Poverty in Haiti]
AbstractThere are few studies of the social and economic consequences of remittances from migrant workers on poverty and inequality in their home country until recently, especially in Haiti. The known amount of remittances sent to Haiti by the Haitian diaspora has surpassed one billion U.S. dollars in 2004, and since then arouses the interest of analysts. In this paper, we provide some elements that can help understand what are the consequences of these gifts on poverty and inequality that characterize Haitian society. Although expectations about macroeconomic impacts of remittances on beneficiaries' situation are often taked positively, our analysis shows that it is better to be prudent in predicting positive potential impact of remittances on the economy and Haitian society. Our analysis also raises several questions that deserve deeper investigations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39019.
Date of creation: 16 Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Migrants; remittances; inequality; poverty; Haiti;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I39 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Other
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- F24 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Remittances
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul, Bénédique, 2012.
"Diaspora et Développement en Haïti : Vers une participation intelligente et efficiente
[Diaspora and Development in Haiti: Towards a smart and efficient participation]," MPRA Paper 42223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.