The adequacy of Malaysian security of payment legislation for sub-contractors in construction industry
AbstractIn Malaysia, the particularly small sized subcontractors are definitely benefited from payment provisions in the proposed Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act (CIPA Act). However, they need to enhance their knowledge of the so-called the ‘Security of Payment’ Regime to benefits from the Act. Due to this, this on-going research attempts to introduce payment framework to the sub-contractors, in giving the knowledge, to claim for payment. This paper, though, is to disclose the finding of the level of knowledge that the sub-contractors have to the proposed Act, by preliminary analyzing the quantitative questionnaire survey. It was found that the adequacy of security of payment framework to the particularly small sized sub-contractors needs to be produced, and the analysis on effectiveness of the various avenues incorporated in the construction contract or statutes in the other developed countries as well as the proposed Act needs to be done. However, as long as the regime remains in proposal, the sub-contractors have to bear with the current structure of payment mechanisms in the standard forms of contract, which are payment upon certification, direct payment from the employer, and contingent or conditional payment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34013.
Date of creation: 05 Jul 2011
Date of revision: 05 Jul 2011
legal readiness; Malaysia; sub-contractors; security of payment; construction industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K32 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Environmental, Health, and Safety Law
- K12 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Contract Law
- L74 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Construction
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-22 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-SEA-2011-10-22 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Supardi, Azizan & Adnan, Hamimah & Mohammad, Mohammad Fadhil, 2010. "Sub-Contractors’ readiness on the Malaysian security of payment legislation in construction industry," MPRA Paper 34010, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Nov 2010.
- Supardi, Azizan & Adnan, Hamimah & Mohammad, Mohammad Fadhil, 2011. "Security of payment regime in construction industry: are Malaysian sub-contractors ready?," MPRA Paper 34025, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.