Development of small business sector in Slovakia in years 1993-2006
AbstractThe main focus of the article is to elaborate on the importance and role of small and medium-sized enterprises in Slovak economy. The authors show development tendencies of SME sector in Slovakia in the years 1993-2006. Where it was possible the authors enumerated the data for the year 2007. The paper analyses the state of the sector of small and medium-sized enterprises, seeking to understand the causes of its relative strength and weakness. The share of SME sector in all registered enterprises in Slovakia is convergent with that for the whole EU average and it amounts to 99.8%. In Slovakia the share of microenterprises amounts to 79.3% which is the lowest feature in the EU. It means that the situation in Slovakia seems to be better for the economy, as the microenterprises do not provide huge impact for national employment and GDP. In Slovakia the share of SMEs in total employment is crucial and amounts to 61.2%. A present-day share of SME sector in both export and import volumes is more than 1/3 of the total volume of foreign trade of Slovakia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31511.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Folia Oeconomica Stetinensia 1.7(2008): pp. 144-162
entrepreneurship; small and medium-sized enterprises; Slovakia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.