Validation of empirical measures of welfare change: comment
AbstractIn an excellent article from a recent issue of this journal, Sellar, Stoll and Chavas (1985) make a technical error which causes them to misstate their closed-ended estimates of willingness to pay. Truncation of the estimated cummulative distribution function must we made explicit in compution of willingness to pay.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31237.
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Land Economics 1.64(1988): pp. 94-98
nonmarket valuation; contingent valuation; stated preferences; welfare evaluation; willingness to pay;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kline, Jeffrey D. & Alig, Ralph J. & Johnson, Rebecca L., 2000. "Forest owner incentives to protect riparian habitat," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-43, April.
- Sonia Akter & Jeff Bennett, 2011.
"Household perceptions of climate change and preferences for mitigation action: the case of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme in Australia,"
Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 417-436, December.
- Akter, Sonia & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2009. "Household perceptions of climate change and preferences for mitigation action: the case of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme in Australia," Research Reports 94819, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Akter, Sonia & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2009. "Household perceptions of climate change and preferences for mitigation action: the case of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme in Australia," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47936, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- He, Senhui & Jordan, Jeffrey L. & Florkowski, Wojciech J., 2003. "Income Reminder And The Divergence Between Willingness-To-Pay Estimates Associated With Dichotomous Choice And Open-Ended Elicitation Formats," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35193, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kim, Sooil, 2006. "Bias and Efficiency of Uniform Bid Design in Contingent Valuation," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21335, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kniivilä, Matleena & Ovaskainen, Ville & Saastamoinen, Olli & Kniivilä, Matleena, 2002. "Costs and benefits of forest conservation: regional and local comparisons in Eastern Finland," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 131-150.
- Hurle, Jesus Barreiro & Garcia, Jose Maria Casada & Perez y Perez, Luis, 2005. "Incorporating Uncertainty and Cero Values into the Valuation of Protected Areas and Species," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24745, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rhee, Hae-Chun & Lee, Kyu-yong & Cho, Joonmo, 2005. "Liberalizing employment of foreign workers in Korea: Public perception and assessment," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 971-987, November.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Brouwer, Roy, 2006. "Consistency and construction in stated WTP for health risk reductions: A novel scope-sensitivity test," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 199-214, August.
- Tilahun, Mesfin & Vranken, Liesbet & Muys, Bart & Deckers, Jozef A. & Gebregziabher, Kidanemariam & Gebrehiwot, Kindeya & Bauer, Hans & Mathijs, Erik, 2012. "Rural Households’ Demand for Frankincense Forest Conservation in Tigray: A Continent Valuation Analysis," Working Papers 146520, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Carmelo Javier León, 1995. "El método dicotómico de valoración contingente: una aplicación a los espacios naturales en Gran Canaria," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 19(1), pages 83-106, January.
- Langford, Ian H. & Bateman, Ian J., 1996.
"Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 265-267, December.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Langford, Ian H. & Turner, R. Kerry & Willis, Ken G. & Garrod, Guy D., 1995. "Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-179, February.
- Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2000. "Dichotomous choice contingent valuation probability distributions," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(2), June.
- Carson, Richard T. & Hanemann, W. Michael, 2006. "Contingent Valuation," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 821-936 Elsevier.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2002. "Flexible Functional Form Estimation of Willingness to Pay Using Dichotomous Choice Data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 267-279, March.
- Teasley, R. Jeff & Bergstrom, John C. & Cordell, H. Ken, 1994. "Estimating Revenue-Capture Potential Associated With Public Area Recreation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Johannes Diederich & Timo Goeschl, 2014. "Willingness to Pay for Voluntary Climate Action and Its Determinants: Field-Experimental Evidence," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 57(3), pages 405-429, March.
- Timothy C. Haab & Kenneth E. McConnell, . "Intuitive Bounds on Willingness to Pay," Working Papers 9609, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Tilahun, Mesfin & Mathijs, Erik & Muys, Bart & Vranken, Liesbet & Deckers, Jozef A. & Gebregziabher, Kidanemariam & Gebrehiwot, Kindeya & Bauer, Hans, 2011. "Contingent valuation analysis of rural households’ willingness to pay for frankincense forest conservation," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116085, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Boyle, Kevin J., 1990. "Dichotomous-Choice, Contingent-Valuation Questions: Functional Form Is Important," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 19(2), October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.