Harmonization of seismic hazard and risk reduction in the Vrancea zone: scientific results of a NATO research project
AbstractThe paper presents some of the main scientific results achieved in the framework of a recently completed NATO Science for Peace and Security research project. The project aimed to harmonize the different seismic hazard maps of Romania, Moldova and Bulgaria and to develop standard maps in Eurocode 8 format, reflecting the real transboundary geophysical effects of the seismic phenomenon. In order to achieve these results, an important amount of research work in the field was carried out by the project teams of the three countries. The project also involved training of young scientists in the fields of seismic hazard, vulnerability and risk, organizing of seminars and workshops with international experts and upgrading the national seismic networks with new digital equipments. The general coordination of project activities and the evaluation of the project progress were performed by a scientific team from the Middle East Technical University (METU) in Ankara, Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26310.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Constructii 2/2009.VIII(2009): pp. 34-51
seismic hazard; seismic risk; Vrancea zone; NATO research project;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- L78 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Government Policy
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- L74 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Construction
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.