Comparative performance of UK mutual building societies and stock retail banks: further evidence: a comment
AbstractShiwakoti et al. (2008) concluded that four of the largest UK mutual societies which converted to listed bank status in 1997 outperformed, on a variety of measures, those societies which did not convert in the four-year periods both before and after conversion. All four converting societies have since been subject to ownership change, suggesting that this out-performance failed to persist, or was perhaps illusory. We do not criticise the results obtained by the authors, but suggest that they leave unanswered important questions, such as how to measure ‘superior’ performance and the appropriate time frame over which to evaluate this.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21171.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Building societies; Banks; Demutualization; Performance; UK;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- N84 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Europe: 1913-
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Radha K. Shiwakoti & John K. Ashton & Kevin Keasey, 2004. "Conversion, Performance and Executive Compensation in UK Building Societies," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 361-370, 07.
- Thompson, Steve, 1997. "Takeover activity among financial mutuals: An analysis of target characteristics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-53, January.
- Radha K. Shiwakoti & Kevin Keasey & Robert Hudson, 2008. "Comparative performance of UK mutual building societies and stock retail banks: further evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 48(2), pages 319-336.
- Valnek, Tomas, 1999. "The comparative performance of mutual building societies and stock retail banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 925-938, June.
- Catherine Schrand & Haluk Unal, 1998. "Hedging and Coordinated Risk Management: Evidence from Thrift Conversions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 979-1013, 06.
- Haynes, Michelle & Thompson, Steve, 1999. "The productivity effects of bank mergers: Evidence from the UK building societies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 825-846, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.