Meritocratic Aspects Concerning Performance Evaluation in the Public Sector - A Case Study for Romania
AbstractThe current paper approaches the theoretical and practical fundamental issues concerning the use of meritocratic criteria in public performance evaluation. Based on papers dealing with the meritocratic approach for the creation and development of a civil service system or papers applying the statistical methodology concerning the meritocratic features in the private sector, our research inscribes within the area of NPM development, referring especially to performance evaluation, taking into consideration the meritocratic criteria. The individual performance inscribes within the organisational performance for a public organisation, which represents by excellence a bureaucracy. Therefore, the evaluation of the "distance" towards meritocracy will be achieved within an organisational framework, the conclusions being valid for the civil service system level, reflecting civil services development. The Romanian civil service system is analysed during a period of four years, thus representing an outstanding example for the theoretical considerations
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18940.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision: 10 Dec 2008
civil service; meritocracy; bureaucracy; performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matei, Ani & Popa, Florin, 2010.
"Meritocratic Aspects Concerning Civil Servant Career. Comparative Study In Central and Eastern European Countries,"
22431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 May 2010.
- Matei, Ani & Popa, Florin, 2010. "Meritocratic aspects concerning civil servant career. Comparative study in Central and Eastern European Countries," Apas Papers 44, Academic Public Administration Studies Archive - APAS.
- Matei, Lucica, 2006. "Management of Civil Service Professionalisation in the Knowledge-based Society. Legal and Institutional Framework," MPRA Paper 19997, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Dec 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.