A.-R.-J. Turgot and the Construction of an Economic Agent called Entrepreneur
AbstractThe entrepreneurial function as just one factor of production is actually being the point of a depth discussion in entrepreneurship research. It could be the cause of some confusion which impeders theoretical developments and it also makes difficult the effectiveness of pro-entrepreneurial programs. The aim of this article is to analyse the origin of this factor of production. For this purpose, we look back to the 18th century in order to analyze Turgot’s works (1727-1781) by means of a new conceptual framework that distinguishes between different productive agents. A series of analytical problems are exposed when the entrepreneurship is linked to a separate economic agent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 06.25.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Entrepreneurship; History of economic thought; Turgot; methodology.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- B1 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925
- B11 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Preclassical (Ancient, Medieval, Mercantilist, Physiocratic)
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-48.
- Fontaine, Philippe, 1993. "The Capitalist Entrepreneur In Eighteenth-Century Economic Literature," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 72-89, March.
- Pelletier, G.R., 1990. "L'entrepreneur dans la pensee economique: l'originalite meconnue de Turgot," Cahiers de recherche 90-04, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- H. Abraham & Z. S. A. Gurzynski*, 1987. "The Entrepreneur as a Non - Factor," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 55(2), pages 75-79, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.