The Impact of Pro-Competitive Reforms on Trade in Developing Countries
AbstractThis report proposes an analysis of the mutually reinforcing relationship between trade, investment and competition policies and how together they impact trade in developing countries. An index of pro-competitive reforms is provided for 82 countries over the period 2001-2005. The index synthesises 13 indicators of the policy stance of countries with regard to trade, investment and competition. It is then used in quantitative analysis to determine the impact of barriers to competitive markets on trade. The results shows that there are substantial gains for developing countries in market and regulatory reforms in terms of higher trade flows and higher income per capita. Moreover, the paper further examines pro-competitive reforms in key services sectors and the extent to which trade agreements can promote them through the experience of the WTO telecoms Reference Paper. The analysis highlights that countries achieved a high degree of liberalisation in the telecoms sector and that regulatory principles of the Reference Paper were useful in promoting sound policies under domestic regulatory reforms of the sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Trade Policy Papers with number 54.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
telecommunications; regulatory reforms; trade liberalisation; indicators; trade and investment; pro-competitive reforms; gravity; reference paper; telecoms; trade and competition; gains;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-08-08 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-08-08 (International Trade)
- NEP-REG-2007-08-08 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Melecky, Martin & Najdov, Evgenij, 2008.
"Comparing Constraints to Economic Stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: Macro Estimates with Micro Narratives,"
9786, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Melecky & Evgenij Najdov, 2010. "Comparing constraints to economic stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: macroestimates with micronarratives," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(9), pages 681-699.
- Melecky, Martin & Najdov, Evgenij, 2008. "Comparing constraints to economic stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: macro estimates with micro narratives," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4691, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Macedonia - Moving to Faster and More Inclusive Growth A Country Economic Memorandum : Main Report and Annex," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3067, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.