Competitiveness, Productivity and Efficiency in the Agricultural and Agri-Food Sectors
AbstractThis report reviews the literature on competitiveness, productivity and efficiency in the agricultural and agri-food sectors. It clarifies concepts and terminology used in this area, and provides a critical assessment of approaches and indicators used in the literature to measure competitiveness, productivity and efficiency at sectoral and farm levels. It also discusses recent findings on productivity growth, changes in relative competitiveness between sub-sectors and countries, and determinants of competitiveness, in addition to identifying the major knowledge gaps. This report suggests that more attention should be paid to the agri-food sector, non-price factors of competitiveness, and the impact of government intervention on competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers with number 30.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
productivity growth; agri-food sector; comparative advantage; domestic resource costs; competitiveness indicators; agriculture; farm productivity; determinants of competitiveness;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-09-03 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-09-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2010-09-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Toth, Orsolya, 2012. "Farm Structure And Competitiveness In Agriculture," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139504, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rusali, Mirela, 2012. "Eu Accession Impacts On The Comparative Advantages In Agricultural Trade: Romania’S Case," Economics of Agriculture, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 59(4).
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2011. "Productivity and Subsidies in European Union Countries: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114396, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Fogarasi, József & Desjeux, Yann, 2012.
"Efficiency, productivity and technology comparison for farms in Central and Western Europe: The case of field crop and dairy farming in Hungary and France,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 264-278.
- Laure Latruffe & Fogarazi, Jozsef & Yann Desjeux, 2012. "Efficiency, productivity and technology comparison for farms in central and western europe : the case of field crop and dairy farming in hungary and france," Working Papers 169550, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2012. "Productivity and Subsidies in the European Union: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126846, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Letort, Elodie, 2011. "Short-term Marginal Costs in French Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114385, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ricardo de Avillez, 2011. "A Detailed Analysis of the Productivity Performance of the Canadian Primary Agriculture Sector," CSLS Research Reports 2011-06, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Figiel, Szczepan & Kuberska, Dominika & Kufel, Justyna, 2012. "Development of clusters and international competitiveness of the agro-food sectors in the EU countries," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 126118, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stojanovic, Zaklina & Mitrovic, Radmila Dragutinovic & Petrovic, Ivana Popovic, 2013. "Serbia's Food Trade Competitiveness and PTAS in the EU Integration Process," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160512, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lamprinopoulou, Chrysa & Renwick, Alan W. & Klerkx, Laurens & Hermans, Frans & Islam, Md. Mofakkarul & Roep, Dirk, 2012. "A Systemic Innovation Policy Framework: The Cases of Scottish and Dutch Agrifood Innovation Systems," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135794, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.