Constrainted Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models
AbstractMaximum likelihood estimation of structural models is often viewed as computationally difficult. This impression is due to a focus on the Nested Fixed-Point approach. We present a direct optimization approach to the general problem and show that it is significantly faster than the NFXP approach when applied to the canonical Zurcher bus repair model. The NFXP approach is inappropriate for estimating games since it requires finding all Nash equilibria of a game for each parameter vector considered, a generally intractable computational problem. We formulate the problem of maximum likelihood estimation of games as a constrained optimization problem that is qualitatively no more difficult to solve than standard maximum likelihood problems. The direct optimization approach is also applicable to other structural estimation methods such as methods of moments, and also allows one to use computationally intensive bootstrap methods to calculate inference. The MPEC approach is also easily implemented on software with high-level interfaces. Furthermore, all the examples in this paper were computed using only free resources available on the web.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science in its series Discussion Papers with number 1460.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, Northwestern University, 580 Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-2014
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Che‐Lin Su & Kenneth L. Judd, 2012. "Constrained Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(5), pages 2213-2230, 09.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-03-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ORE-2008-03-25 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Arvind Magesan, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models," Working Papers tecipa-489, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aryal, Gaurab & Gabrielli, Maria F., 2013.
"Testing for collusion in asymmetric first-price auctions,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 26-35.
- Gaurab Aryal & Maria F. Gabrielli, 2011. "Testing for Collusion in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2011-564, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Victor Aguirregabiria & Aviv Nevo & Aviv Nevo, 2010.
"Recent Developments in Empirical IO: Dynamic Demand and Dynamic Games,"
tecipa-419, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Nevo, Aviv, 2010. "Recent developments in empirical IO: dynamic demand and dynamic games," MPRA Paper 27814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013.
"Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7248, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Méndez & Thomas Rønde & Hannes Ullrich, 2013. " Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," Working Papers 330, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Dennis Kristensen & Bernard Salanie, 2013. "Higher-order properties of approximate estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP45/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Timothy P. Hubbard & Harry J. Paarsch, 2012. "On the Numerical Solution of Equilibria in Auction Models with Asymmetries within the Private-Values Paradigm," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 291, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Joao Macieira & Pedro Pereira & Joao Vareda, 2013. "Bundling Incentives in Markets with Product Complementarities: The Case of Triple-Play," Working Papers 13-15, NET Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.