Il declino dell’impresa pubblica: cause, effetti, prospettive
AbstractThe paper discusses possible interpretations of the fall of the public enterprise in the economic ideology of the European left-wing parties. The first section rejects the claim that a technological shift has weakened the case for the nationalization of natural monopolies. Economies of scale in network industries are not so different in the 1990s as they were in the 1950s. The efficiency case for nationalization should n, ot be exaggerated, but cannot be simply dismissed. Budgetary considerations appear also scarcely convincing. The first public enterprises to be privatized have been the telecoms, usually net contributors to the public sector budget. Ideology has played a role in Thatcher’s Britain, and in Pinochet’s Chile, but not elsewhere. The key change is probably the new global financial dimension of capitalism. This has motivated an exchange of financial rents againts political rents. In the second section, some effects are reviewed. While the welfare effects are modest, large scale privatization changes the political-economic equilibria in a dangerous way, because it splits society between net-contributors to and net-beneficiaries of public funds, with the state transformed in machinery that redistributes and does not produce anything of importance. The third section concludes that a new fiscal constitution is needed, that establishes a set of ‘citizenship goods’. A democratic planning mechanism should be established to provide these goods, with both public and private firms concurring to their procurement, under a system of incentive-based contracts
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2007-14.
Date of creation: 08 May 2007
Date of revision:
public enterprise; privatization; citizenship;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laura DELPONTE & Maddalena SORRENTINO & Matteo TURRI & Daniela VANDONE, 2013. "The transformation of Milan's city energy enterprise in a leading national industrial group," CIRIEC Working Papers 1303, CIRIEC - Université de Liège.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask DEMM Working Papers to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.