Electricity Market Reform in the European Union - Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration
AbstractThe energy market liberalisation process in Europe is increasingly focused on electricity market integration and related cross border issues. This signals that the liberalisation of national electricity markets is now closer to the long-term objective of a single European energy market. The interface between the national electricity markets requires physical interconnections and technical arrangements. However, further progress towards this objective also raises important issues regarding the framework within which the integrated market is implemented. This paper reviews the progress towards a single European electricity market. We then discuss the emerging issues of market concentration, investments, and security of supply as well as some aspects of market design and regulation that are crucial for dynamic performance of a single European market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research in its series Working Papers with number 0503.
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 77 Massachusetts Ave. (Building E40-279), Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
Phone: (617) 253-3551
Fax: (617) 253-9845
Web page: http://tisiphone.mit.edu/RePEc
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tooraj Jamasb and Michael Pollitt, 2005. "Electricity Market Reform in the European Union: Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 11-42.
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Green, R. & Lorenzoni, A. & Perez, Y. & Pollitt, M., 2006. "Benchmarking Electricity Liberalisation in Europe’Benchmarking Electricity Liberalisation in Europe," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0629, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Nilsson, Mats, 2007. "Red light for Green Paper: The EU policy on energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 540-547, January.
- Alfredo Garcia & Ennio Stacchetti, 2011. "Investment dynamics in electricity markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 149-187, February.
- Silvia Concettini & Anna Créti, 2013. "Liberalization of electricity retailing in Europe: coming back or going forth?," Working Papers hal-00915924, HAL.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2007.
"Incentive Regulation of Electricity Distribution Networks: Lessons of Experience from Britain,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0709, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2007. "Incentive regulation of electricity distribution networks: Lessons of experience from Britain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6163-6187, December.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011.
"The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: a cross country panel data analysis,"
28414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011. "The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: A cross country panel data analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1080-1092, March.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010. "Electricity Market Reform: Lessons for developing countries," MPRA Paper 27317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaraitė, Jūratė & Di Maria, Corrado, 2012.
"Efficiency, productivity and environmental policy: A case study of power generation in the EU,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1557-1568.
- Jaraite, Jurate & Di Maria, Corrado, 2011. "Efficiency, Productivity and Environmental Policy: A Case Study of Power Generation in the EU," CERE Working Papers 2011:3, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Jurate Jaraite & Corrado Di Maria, 2011. "Efficiency, Productivity and Environmental Policy: A Case Study of Power Generation in the EU," Working Papers 2011.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Del Bo, Chiara F., 2013. "FDI spillovers at different levels of industrial and spatial aggregation: Evidence from the electricity sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1490-1502.
- Nuno Carvalho Figueiredo & Patrícia Pereira da Silva & Pedro Cerqueira, 2014. "The Renewables Influence on Market Splitting: the Iberian Spot Electricity Market," GEMF Working Papers 2014-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Pompei, Fabrizio, 2013. "Heterogeneous effects of regulation on the efficiency of the electricity industry across European Union countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 569-585.
- Pollitt, M. G., 2012.
"The role of policy in energy transitions: lessons from the energy liberalisation era,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
1216, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pollitt, Michael G., 2012. "The role of policy in energy transitions: Lessons from the energy liberalisation era," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 128-137.
- Jan Bena & Peter Ondko & Evangelia Vourvachaki, 2011.
"Productivity Gains from Services Liberalization in Europe,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp452, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Bena Jan & Ondko Peter & Vourvachaki Evangelia, 2011. "Productivity Gains from Services Liberalization in Europe," EERC Working Paper Series 11/15e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Llorca, Manuel & Orea, Luis & Pollitt, Michael, 2013. "Efficiency and Environmental Factors in the US Electricity Transmission Industry," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1318, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jacques Pelkmans & Lionel Kapff, 2010. "Interconnector Investment for a Well-functioning Internal Market. What EU regime of regulatory incentives?," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 18, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Roger Fouquet, 2012. "Economics of Energy and Climate Change: Origins, Developments and Growth," Working Papers 2012-08, BC3.
- Mario Ibarburu, 2012. "Acuerdos de comercio internacional spot de electricidad," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1912, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Ochoa, Camila & Dyner, Isaac & Franco, Carlos J., 2013. "Simulating power integration in Latin America to assess challenges, opportunities, and threats," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 267-273.
- Machiel Mulder & Victoria Shestalova & Mark Lijesen, 2005. "Vertical separation of the energy-distribution industry; an assessment of several options for unbundling," CPB Document 84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharmila Ganguly) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sharmila Ganguly to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.