Electricity Market Reform in the European Union - Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration
AbstractThe energy market liberalisation process in Europe is increasingly focused on electricity market integration and related cross border issues. This signals that the liberalisation of national electricity markets is now closer to the long-term objective of a single European energy market. The interface between the national electricity markets requires physical interconnections and technical arrangements. However, further progress towards this objective also raises important issues regarding the framework within which the integrated market is implemented. This paper reviews the progress towards a single European electricity market. We then discuss the emerging issues of market concentration, investments, and security of supply as well as some aspects of market design and regulation that are crucial for dynamic performance of a single European market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research in its series Working Papers with number 0503.
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 77 Massachusetts Ave. (Building E40-279), Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
Phone: (617) 253-3551
Fax: (617) 253-9845
Web page: http://tisiphone.mit.edu/RePEc
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tooraj Jamasb and Michael Pollitt, 2005. "Electricity Market Reform in the European Union: Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 11-42.
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010.
"Electricity Market Reform: Lessons for developing countries,"
27317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011. "The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: a cross country panel data analysis," MPRA Paper 28414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Del Bo, Chiara F., 2013. "FDI spillovers at different levels of industrial and spatial aggregation: Evidence from the electricity sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1490-1502.
- Silvia Concettini & Anna Créti, 2013. "Liberalization of electricity retailing in Europe: coming back or going forth?," Working Papers hal-00915924, HAL.
- Ochoa, Camila & Dyner, Isaac & Franco, Carlos J., 2013. "Simulating power integration in Latin America to assess challenges, opportunities, and threats," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 267-273.
- Alfredo Garcia & Ennio Stacchetti, 2011. "Investment dynamics in electricity markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 149-187, February.
- Pollitt, Michael G., 2012.
"The role of policy in energy transitions: Lessons from the energy liberalisation era,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 128-137.
- Pollitt, M. G., 2012. "The role of policy in energy transitions: lessons from the energy liberalisation era," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1216, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bena Jan & Ondko Peter & Vourvachaki Evangelia, 2011.
"Productivity Gains from Services Liberalization in Europe,"
EERC Working Paper Series
11/15e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Jan Bena & Peter Ondko & Evangelia Vourvachaki, 2011. "Productivity Gains from Services Liberalization in Europe," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp452, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Green, R. & Lorenzoni, A. & Perez, Y. & Pollitt, M., 2006. "Benchmarking Electricity Liberalisation in Europe’Benchmarking Electricity Liberalisation in Europe," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0629, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Mario Ibarburu, 2012. "Acuerdos de comercio internacional spot de electricidad," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1912, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Llorca, Manuel & Orea, Luis & Pollitt, Michael, 2013. "Efficiency and Environmental Factors in the US Electricity Transmission Industry," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1318, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharmila Ganguly).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.