The Clean Development Mechanism and Sustainable Development: A Panel Data Analysis
AbstractThe Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) of the Kyoto Protocol is designed to allow the industrialised countries to earn credits by investing in greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction projects in developing countries, which contribute to sustainable development in the host countries. This research empirically investigates the long-run impacts of CDM projects on CO2 emissions for 18 CDM host countries over 1990-2007. By allowing for considerable heterogeneity across countries, this research provides strong evidence in support of a significant effect of CDM projects on CO2 emission reductions in the host countries. It offers ample recommendation for improving CDM development and serves to encourage the developing countries to strengthen their national capacity to effectively access the CDM for their sustainable development objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics in its series Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers with number 39.2008.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision: 2008
Clean Development Mechanism; CO2 Emissions; Heterogeneous Dymanic Panels;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- CO2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Emi - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2008-11-11 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-11-11 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kasai, Katsuya, 2012. "How can LDCs benefit from the CDM?: A panel data analysis of determinants of CDM project hosting," MPRA Paper 52137, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Kasai, Katsuya, 2011. "A Cross-Country Empirical Analysis of Determinants of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Projects," MPRA Paper 52160, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Unai Pascual).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.