The optimal management of wetlands: quantifying trade-offs between flood risks, recreation and biodiversity conservation
AbstractThis paper employs a choice experiment to estimate the value of management options for the Bobrek wetland in Poland. The local public’s valuation of several wetland management attributes, including flood risk reduction, biodiversity conservation and improvement of recreational access, are investigated. A latent class model and a covariance heterogeneity model are estimated to account for heterogeneity in the preferences of the local public. The results reveal that there is considerable preference heterogeneity across the local public; however on average they derive the highest values from reductions of flooding risk. The results of this study are expected to assist policy makers in undertaking effective flood risk reduction measures and formulating efficient, equitable and sustainable wetland management policies in accordance with the European Union Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics in its series Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers with number 28.2007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision: 2007
choice experiment; latent class model; covariance heterogeneity model; flood risk; biodiversity conservation; recreation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
- R4 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-11-17 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2007-11-17 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENV-2007-11-17 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kragt, Marit E., 2013. "Integrating biophysical and economic systems in a Bayesian Network Hydro-economic framework," Working Papers 153334, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Ekin Birol & Sukanya Das, 2010. "The Value of Improved Public Services : An Application of the Choice Experiment Method to Estimate the Value of Improved Wastewater Treatment Infrastructure in India," Development Economics Working Papers 23062, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Unai Pascual).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.