Navigating time and uncertainty in health technology appraisal: would a map help?
AbstractHealth care systems are increasingly under pressure to provide funding for innovative technologies. These technologies tend to be characterized by their potential to make valued contributions to patient health in areas of relative unmet need, high acquisition costs and great uncertainty in the evidence base on their actual impact on health. Decision makers are increasingly interested in linking reimbursement strategies to the degree of uncertainty in the evidence base and as a result, reimbursement for innovative technologies is frequently linked to some form of patient access or risk sharing scheme. However, current methods of economic evaluation provide only highly aggregate information on the distribution of risk between payers, patents and manufacturers. Reimbursement agencies would benefit from more detailed information on how uncertainty is distributed between costs and benefits; and over the short, medium and long term; to facilitate the assessment of the fairness of risk sharing under alternative payment strategies. In this paper we introduce the Net Benefit Probability Map as a method for providing decision makers with a less aggregate description of the distribution of costs, benefits and uncertainty over time, using data that is generated by standard probabilistic sensitivity analyses. We then show how it can be useful to decision makers considering (a) Only with Research Reimbursement decisions; (b) the use of differential discount rates; and (c) Patient access schemes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds in its series Working Papers with number 1201.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in final form in Pharmacoeconomics, 2013, 31(9), pp.731-7.
Contact details of provider:
Phone: Charles Thackrah Building, 101 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS9 2LJ
Fax: +44 (0) 113 343 3470
Web page: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/auhe
More information through EDIRC
CEA; Uncertainty; Time; Decision making;
Other versions of this item:
- Christopher McCabe & Richard Edlin & Peter Hall, 2013. "Navigating Time and Uncertainty in Health Technology Appraisal: Would a Map Help?," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 31(9), pages 731-737, September.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher J. McCabe & Tania Stafinski & Richard Edlin & Devidas Menon, 2010. "Access with Evidence Development Schemes: A Framework for Description and Evaluation," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 28(2), pages 143-152.
- Karl Claxton & Mark Sculpher & Anthony Culyer & Chris McCabe & Andrew Briggs & Ron Akehurst & Martin Buxton & John Brazier, 2006. "Discounting and cost-effectiveness in NICE - stepping back to sort out a confusion," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-4.
- Peter S Hall & Richard Edlin & Samer Kharroubi & Walter Gregory & Christopher McCabe, 2011. "Expected Net Present Value of Sample Information: from burden to investment," Working Papers 1101, Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds.
- Peter S. Hall & Claire Hulme & Christopher McCabe & Yemi Oluboyede & Jeff Round & David A. Cameron, 2011. "Updated Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Trastuzumab for Early Breast Cancer: A UK Perspective Considering Duration of Benefit, Long-Term Toxicity and Pattern of Recurrence," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 29(5), pages 415-432.
- Tania Stafinski & Christopher J. McCabe & Devidas Menon, 2010. "Funding the Unfundable: Mechanisms for Managing Uncertainty in Decisions on the Introduction of New and Innovative Technologies into Healthcare Systems," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 28(2), pages 113-142.
- Karl Claxton & Stephen Palmer & Louise Longworth & Laura Bojke & Susan Griffin & Claire McKenna & Marta Soares & Eldon Spackman & Jihee Youn, 2011. "Uncertainty, evidence and irrecoverable costs: Informing approval, pricing and research decisions for health technologies," Working Papers 069cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Christopher McCabe & Richard Edlin & Peter Hall & Klemens Wallner, 2013. "Leasing health technologies- an affordable and effective reimbursement strategy for innovative technologies?," Working Papers 1302, Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Veale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.