A Survey of the Effects of the Minimum Wage on Prices
AbstractIt is well established in the literature that minimum wage increases compress the wage distribution. Firms respond to these higher labour costs by reducing employment, reducing profits, or raising prices. While there are hundreds of studies on the employment effect of the minimum wage, there are merely a handful of studies on its profit effects, and only a couple of dozen studies on its price effects. Furthermore, a comprehensive survey on minimum wage price effects is not available in the literature. Given the policy relevance of this neglected issue, in this paper we summarise and critically compare the available evidence on the effects of minimum wages on prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Leicester in its series Discussion Papers in Economics with number 06/9.
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Sara Lemos, 2008. "A Survey Of The Effects Of The Minimum Wage On Prices," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 187-212, 02.
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Economists disagree on whether the minimum wage kills jobs. Why?
by Brad Plumer in Ezra Klein's Wonkblog on 2013-02-14 14:00:01
- Mirco Tonin, 2007.
"Minimum Wage and Tax Evasion: Theory and Evidence,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp865, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mirco Tonin, 2007. "Minimum Wage and Tax Evasion: Theory and Evidence," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0701, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Tonin, Mirco, 2011. "Minimum Wage and Tax Evasion: Theory and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 5660, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mirco Tonin, 2009. "Minimumwage and tax evasion: theory and evidence," MNB Working Papers 2009/2, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Jonathan Wadsworth, 2009.
"Did the national minimum wage affect UK prices?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28677, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2008.
"Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability,"
NBER Working Papers
13996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," CEPR Discussion Papers 5456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum wages and firm profitability," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," CEP Discussion Papers dp0715, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," IZA Discussion Papers 1913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Karine Ardila & Miguel Ignacio Gömez, .
"Efecto del cambio del salario mínimo en el precio de las comidas fuera del hogar en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
584, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Karine Ardila & Miguel Igancio Gómez, 2010. "Efecto del cambio del salario mínimo en el precio de las comidas fuera del hogar en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006621, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- John Schmitt, 2013. "Why Does the Minimum Wage Have No Discernible Effect on Employment?," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2013-04, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Margherita Comola & Luiz de Mello, 2009. "How Does Decentralised Minimum-Wage Setting Affect Unemployment and Informality?: The Case of Indonesia," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 710, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.